Quatuor Diotima

Buy tickets
November 2022
Mo
Tu
We
Th
Fr
Sa
Su

Program and cast

PERFORMERS
Quatuor Diotima
Yun Peng Zhao
violin

Leo Marillier
violin

Franck Chevalier
viola

Pierre Morlet
violoncello

MUK.ensemble.current
Yukari Ohno
violin

Lalita Svete
violin

Flora Geißelbrecht
viola

urh mrak
violoncello

George Baselitz
PROGRAM
Sivan Eldar

Solicitations. string quartet
Beat Furrer

String Quartet No. 2
Olga Neuwirth

"Georg Baselitz" for string quartet and tape with a text by Georg Baselitz (world premiere - commissioned by the Gesellschaft der Musikfreunde in Vienna and Wien Modern)
Georg Baselitz in conversation with Stephan Pauly and Bernhard Günther about Olga Neuwirth's new work
After the conversation, Olga Neuwirth plays the piece a second time

- Break -

George Frideric Haas

In iij. Noct.
(the work is played in total darkness)
End approx.: 22:00

Musikverein

This building is located on Dumbastraße/Bösendorferstraße behind the Hotel Imperial near the Ringstraße boulevard and the Wien River, between Bösendorferstraße and Karlsplatz. However, since Bösendorferstraße is a relatively small street, the building is better known as being between Karlsplatz and Kärntner Ring (part of Ringstraße loop). It was erected as the new concert hall run by the Gesellschaft der Musikfreunde, on a piece of land provided by Emperor Franz Joseph I of Austria in 1863. The plans were designed by Danish architect Theophil Hansen in the Neoclassical style of an ancient Greek temple, including a concert hall as well as a smaller chamber music hall. The building was inaugurated on 6 January, 1870. A major donor was Nikolaus Dumba whose name the Austrian government gave to one of the streets surrounding the Musikverein.
 

Great Hall - Golden Hall

“As high as any expectations could be, they would still be exceeded by the first impression of the hall which displays an architectural beauty and a stylish splendour making it the only one of its kind.” This was the reaction of the press to the opening of the new Musikverein building and the first concert in the Großer Musikvereinssaal on 6 January 1870.

The impression must have been overwhelming – so overwhelming that Vienna’s leading critic, Eduard Hanslick, irritatingly brought up the question of whether this Großer Musikvereinssaal “was not too sparkling and magnificent for a concert hall”. “From all sides spring gold and colours.”

 

 

 

 

 

Brahms Hall

"In order not to promise too much it can be said that it has been made into the most beautiful, most magnificent, perfect example of a chamber concert hall that any of us knows in the world.” This was the reaction of a Vienna daily newspaper in October 1993 as the Brahms-Saal was presented to the public after extensive renovation work.

The surprise was perfect. It was a completely new hall. In contrast to the Grosse Musikvereinssaal, the Brahms-Saal had changed its appearance quite considerably over the years. When and how it acquired that slightly melancholy duskiness that was known to music lovers before 1993 cannot be precisely documented.

 

 

 

Glass Hall

As a venue for events from concerts to luxury banquets, the Glass Hall / Magna Auditorium is not only the largest of the Musikverein's 4 new halls but also the most flexible in terms of usage.

Hub podiums enable the smooth transformation of the concert hall into a conference centre, the cinema into a ballroom, or the stage into a catwalk. State-of-the-art equipment for sound, lighting, video and widescreen digital projection provide the ideal conditions for half-scenic productions.
The Glass Hall / Magna Auditorium was designed by the Viennese architect Wilhelm Holzbauer. With a height of 8 metres, the hall (including the gallery) can play host to up to 380 visitors.

Related events